I’m sure every parent will remember the stress of their baby’s first illness.
I know I will!
For me, it started when Kory had been vomiting and was struggling to keep any of his milk down and I was just feeling awful because I wasn’t sure what to do for the best! After speaking with the doctor (mainly for my own peace of mind!) I was adviced to just offer little bits of whatever he could keep down, which in Kory’s case was water and to keep my eye on him. So that’s what we did and after lots of cuddles, sleep and sips of water, he was soon back to his little happy self. But as a parent, you just can’t help but worry!
For any parents who haven’t been through this yet, here’s some tips I found helpful:
- Remember that you know your baby best, if you feel like something is wrong or just not right, go with your instinct.
- Don’t feel stupid for taking your baby to the GP or emergency room with any concerns you may have.
- Expect extra cuddles!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Accept that you probably won’t get much done whilst your baby is unwell (the housework can wait!)
- If you usually keep to a routine, drop it. Let your baby feed and sleep whenever they want to.
I hope you found these tips to be helpful! Can you remember your baby’s first illness? What helped you?