I can’t believe that I turn 26 years old in 3 days. I don’t know when or how that happened. I am now going to be closer to 30 than I am 20! Wowzers. I still feel like a carefree 20 year old (but I have two kids so mostly a not so carefree 20 year old) and most definitely not like a soon-to-be 26 year old. Whatever that is ‘supposed’ to feel like anyway… And I definitely don’t act my age (I still don’t know how to adult properly.) Although some would say I act older. I like watching Emmerdale (Emmy Semmy as Kory calls it) and drinking a good cup of tea. Ok? But I also like listening to Tupac and playing on my Nintendo Switch. I call it balance.
Thinking about this has got me feeling a little nostalgic. This is going to be my first ever birthday spent in partial lockdown too – I have Covid-19 to thank for that. So I thought I would think back through all the years that have quickly passed me by and try to remember what I have learned in the quater of a century that I have been on earth. I mean, what else am I going to?
So, let’s go!
- I am not perfect and I don’t have to be. At one point in my life I didn’t like the person I was but I have grown to love the person I am. I’m my own weirdo and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Embrace your weirdness. Always stay true to you.
- Don’t compare yourself to others.
- Do the things you love. Just do them. Always.
- Worry less. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Not everyone will like you and you won’t like everyone you meet either and that’s okay. I don’t follow trends, I have my own style, I refuse to update my music playlist. Mostly everything I listen to is from the 90’s or before. I’m actually a massive geek who loves movies and reading books but I am who I am and I won’t waste my time or energy trying to get anyone to like me.
- It’s okay to only have a small number of friends. Quality over quantity.
- Hold on to those who have always been there for you. People like that are few and far between, hold them close and never let them go.
- Nothing is more important than family, friends and love. If you love someone – tell them!
- I am not a reflection of those who have chose to walk out of my life. That says more about their character than it does mine.
- It’s okay to let go of toxic people. If someone isn’t good for you it is okay to walk away.
- Know your worth.
- Speak your mind. Life is too short to hold things inside. Never be afraid to say how you feel.
- Be kind. The world needs more of that.
- Keep the past in the past. That’s where it belongs. If you can’t change something, it’s better to just let it go.
- Trust your gut instinct. If my gut instinct has taught me anything over the years it’s that it’s usually 99.9% right. Whenever I get a vibe from someone I go with my gut instinct and it’s yet to make a fool out of me.
- Go for it. It’s so easy to play it safe and avoid trying anything new for fear of leaving your comfort zone but if the last 20 odd years have taught me anything it’s that life is short and it’s to be lived to the fullest! It’s better to just go for it than to spend your life wondering what if…
- Everything happens for a reason. Such a cliche but I am such a believer of this. Sometimes the universe knows what you need in life before you do.
- Animals are better than people. They are pure and if people were more like them then this world would be a much better place.
- Open your mind. When you assume you know everything you close your mind off from compassion and acceptance. Instead, ask yourself deep meaningful questions. Of course stand by your own beliefs but be willing to be more open minded.
- Travel as much as you can. See more of the great, big world.
- The solution to most problems is a good cry. When everything gets a bit too much I like to stick on one of my favourite tv shows, eat Nutella straight from the jar and feel a bit sorry for myself. Sounds pathetic but I always feel better after a good cry.
- Don’t feel bad if you don’t know what you want to do with your life. I’m gonna be 26 years old and I still don’t know what I wanna do with my life and that’s absolutely normal.
- Trust yourself. You are capable of doing anything if you just put your mind to it.
- Be happy. Everyone in this world deserves happiness and to have what they want in this life and that includes YOU.
Thank you for reading my 25 things I’ve learned in 25 years! What life lessons have you learned? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading as always,
2 thoughts on “25 things i’ve learned in 25 years”
Thank you for posting something so honest and real.
🌿 Marissa Belle × marsybun.com 🌿
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for your comment ❤️